The Department of Chemistry started functioning at the Kargil Campus of the University of Ladakh in 2020. Set up with a meagre strength of faculty members, the Department is now well established with good teaching faculties/non-teaching staff and well-equipped labs. A team of dedicated faculty of the Department provides the students with rigorous instruction and training to equip them with specialized theoretical principles, experimental and analytical skills.
The department successfully equipped the Labs with all the facilities and set up a smart classroom, within a short period, that matches the best available elsewhere. A variety of sophisticated analytical and spectroscopic instruments viz. ALPHA II Compact FTIR by Bruker (Germany made), Double beam UV-VIS spectrophotometers by Shimadzu (Japan Made), Muffle Furnace, Flame photometer, Digital- Polarimeter, Refractometer, TDS meter, DO meter, pH meter, Conductivity meter, Potentiometer, etc and other minor instruments are currently available in the lab. The department is going to procure NMR, HPLC, elemental analyzer, and many other sophisticated instruments in near future. The department has also planned to establish a computational chemistry lab that is proficient in a wide range of molecular modeling, computational analysis, and designing novel materials. Overall, the M.Sc. Chemistry program aims to provide the students with a firm grounding in the theoretical principles and facilitate the development of rigorous hands-on training on sophisticated analytical instruments.
The University offers a 2-year M.Sc. program with a four-semester system following the guidelines of National Education Policy 2020. The intake capacity of the department is 30. The syllabus of M.Sc. Chemistry covers a broad area of fundamental aspects in modern Chemistry as well all recent research focuses on advanced Chemistry which helps students for parallel prepare for national-level competitive exams like CSIR-UGC-NET, GATE, etc. A student, Masoumeh Banoo from the very first batch of Chemistry also cracked the CSIR-NET examination for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Lectureship. In the same year, she also secured a seat for Ph.D. in IIT Delhi. She became the first student to qualify for such an examination from the very first batch of the University of Ladakh.
In addition to classroom lectures, various sessions on different fields of chemistry as well as interdisciplinary topics are also conducted regularly by inviting world-renowned experts. Various field activities as well as study cum exposure tours to reputed institutes also conducts to enhance the ability of students.
For any queries, you can write us at [email protected]
• To provide a broad-based curriculum in chemistry to produce chemists with high professional competence and with awareness of the importance of chemistry in the technological world.
• To develop well-equipped modern laboratories to facilitate research that would enable modern approaches and solutions to problems in the fields of chemical science to attract students from across the world.
• To support the developmental activities of the campus and make the Department vibrant.
• To strengthen the education and research ecosystem by collaborating with other academic and research institutes around the world.
To establish a model centre of excellence in the field of chemistry for transformative impact on society through continual innovation in academics and research, and make a significant contribution for producing professionals in the fields of chemical sciences. The department will distinguish itself by its strong cross-disciplinary collaborations both within and outside the university.
• ICT-enabled teaching is practiced by teachers.
• To develop the self-confidence and presentation skills of the students, presentations are an important part of internal assessment besides assignments and tests.
• Previous CSIR-NET and other national-level exam papers of chemical science are solved and practiced.
• The students are given free hands to handle the sophisticated instruments.
• Exposure tours to other reputed institutes are conducted.
• The students are mentored to appear for various competitive examinations through interactive sessions/workshops, guest lectures, and guidance of successful alumni.
• Feedback from students is collected to improve the teaching-learning process.
• To meet the growing demands of industries and to develop a research attitude in students, students are continuously motivated for research during all semesters.
• To develop Environment Consciousness among the students Green Chemistry is an important part of the curriculum.
• The classrooms, administrative offices, and laboratories of the department are airy and well-illuminated for the maximum use of natural lighting during the daytime. Electricity from a 100KW solar power plant is used to run the electrical appliances of the department. The department strictly observes to see that no electric equipment runs unnecessarily. Thus, enough measures are taken to conserve energy carefully.
• The students are encouraged to self-learning by providing proper guidance and counselling.